The 43rd Annual United States District Court Judicial Conference was held on Thursday, March 28, 2019 at Mayfair Farms, West Orange, NJ.
8:30 AM Conference Registration and AFBNJ Member Photo
9:30 AM Welcome Remarks and Update from the Historical Society
• William T. Reilly, President, AFBNJ and Partner, McCarter & English, LLP
• Keith J. Miller, President, United States District Court Historical Society and Partner, Robinson Miller LLC
9:45 -10:50 AM The Immigration Debate: The Constitution, Federal Powers, and Current Litigation Update
Explore the current law and policy debate over immigration in the United States and the status of relevant litigation, including DACA and the Executive Order limiting travel to the U.S. from certain countries.
Moderator: Lawrence S. Lustberg
Co-Chair, Commercial & Criminal Litigation, Gibbons P.C.
• Hon. Michael A. Chagares, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
• August E. Flentje, Special Counsel, U.S. Department of Justice
• Lee Gelernt, Deputy Director, ACLU Immigrants’ Rights Project
• Amy Gottlieb, Associate Regional Director, American Friends Service Committee
10:50-11:10 AM Break
11:10 AM State of the Judiciary
• Honorable Jose L. Linares, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
11:30 AM – 12:35 PM The First Amendment Right of Access to the Courts: Promoting Openness and Protecting Privacy
Topics will include confidentiality orders, proprietary information, sealing orders, courtroom closure, secrecy involving uncharged individuals, and the District Court’s protocol for the disclosure of sentencing material.
Moderator: Professor Alexis Karteron
Director of the Constitutional Rights Clinic at Rutgers Law School
• Hon. Stanley R. Chesler, U.S. District Judge
• Hon. Leda Dunn Wettre, U.S. Magistrate Judge
• John M. Fietkiewicz, Senior Counsel, Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP
• Jeanne LoCicero, Legal Director, ACLU of New Jersey
12:35 PM Closing Remarks
• William T. Reilly, President, AFBNJ
2019 Judicial Conference Coordinators: Jennifer C. Critchley and Zahid N. Quraishi